How to Remove Mold From a Tent?

You can get rid of mold on tent by brushing, rinsing, cleaning, and drying. It is in the air and grows on damp items. Here are 7 ways to remove:


  • Brushing: The first thing to do when you want to remove mold is to brush it off the surface of the tent. This step does the preliminary cleaning and makes your tent look less white.
  • Wind: Keep it out in the wind for airflow and sun to dry it out.
  • Rinsing: This is the most important of all steps. You take a large tub of water; add some disinfectant to it, also some aroma for a nice smell. Immerse the tent inside the tub and just let it sink for some time. Approximately after 30 minutes, pick it up and let the water drip.
  • Cleaning: Rinsing the tent will almost remove the mold on it, but for better results, clean it with a scrubber. This will ensure detailed cleaning of the tent. It can be a bit of a hard work but the outcome will be clean.
  • Drying: After you have cleaned your tent thoroughly, it needs to be dried. And nothing is better than sunlight for this purpose. Sunlight is the best natural germ killer. Drying it under the sun for a good amount of time will not only result in good cleaning, it will also make sure the germs on the surface gathered due to the moist before are removed.
  • Bleaching: Many a times, you may notice fading of colour due to tough rubbing of the tent sheet. You can bleach it by dipping it in suitable bleach or applying bleach on the areas needed. This will retain the colour of the sheet ad not make it look dull.
  • Replace: Since they are not that expensive, it may be easier to replace it.


Molds are fungi that start growing on stuffs kept in moist dark places away from the sunlight. It is obvious that your camping gear isn’t one of those things which you would put your hands on regularly. You come back from fun trek and you keep your gears in the storeroom until another camping idea to pops up.



Keep it in the open: If you are cleaning your camping gears, it may be assumed that you have a trip planned on your mind. So, after cleaning, keep your tent sheet in an open area so that it doesn’t get affected again in a span of few days. If stored back in the store room, your efforts may all go in vain.



Mold is one of a fungus group made of tiny organisms and is present almost everywhere. They come in different colors including purple, black, green, white, or orange. Molds that are found outside play a critical role in nature as they break down dead leaves, trees, and plants.


Molds grow in a place where there is moisture and reproduce through small and lightweight spores that move through the air. This means that each day, we are exposed to mold. When mold spores are in small amounts, they are harmless but when they find and land on a moist spot at home, they begin to grow to release their spores to air and can easily be inhaled.


If someone is sensitive to mold and happens to inhale the spores, chances are that they can experience health problems. Overall not good for you.



Molds grow in different places including furniture, floors, carpets, walls, and even in appliances. This is because these places can provide an environment conducive for mold to grow.


However, the most common place you can find mold is in damp places like the house basement, bathrooms, laundry area, the kitchen, and even in crawl spaces.




Mold exposure can result in different types of problems especially if one has asthma or is allergic to it. Even when you do not have any allergies, molds can irritate the skin, nose, eyes, lungs, and throat. Some individuals are sensitive to mold and these include;




Types of mold

Mold is a fungus that grows almost everywhere on earth and off late, it has become a topic of interest because of the increasing awareness for the potential hazard it causes. Most individuals are not sure or aware of how many species of mold are present but it is estimated that the number can be tens of thousands or over. Some of the species are harmless while others cause severe health problems.


It is important therefore to know the type of mold you are dealing with especially when it is growing in your home. Each species has unique characteristics, patterns of growth and could lead to different health effects. Moreover, it is necessary to know the prevention methods and the places they can likely grow. Below are some of the types of mold we can come across in our surroundings.



This is under the toxigenic type and it changes over its lifetime. In the early stages, it starts as a small moist mold and then turns into a fine substance like powder. This mold is pink, white, grey, or orange. The mold grows within the household in areas such as window sealants, humidifiers, drain pans among other areas. When one gets exposed to this mold, they may suffer from diseases such as bone marrow diseases, effects on the immune system and other organs. In worst-case scenarios, it can result in brain impairment.



This is common in the allergenic mold category across the world. It is velvet and dark green. It tends to grow in damp areas. In a household, it is common below the leaking sinks, showers, and bathtubs. It is also a common species that occurs whenever there is water damage in homes. Since it is allergenic, it can cause asthma-like symptoms in the mouth, nose, and respiratory tract. The mold, unlike the rest, grows rapidly and therefore it is important to deal with it as fast as possible before it takes over the home.




This is common in American homes. The spores are long and shaped like flasks forming thick walls of the mold. It easily creates a long chain of mold that grows on surfaces. It appears in different colors given that there are more than 85 of this species. It is an allergenic mold and toxic at the same time. It can lead to lung infections, asthma, and inflammation of the respiratory system.




This is an allergenic species of mold that grows on wooden spaces, painted surfaces, and behind the wallpaper. It grows in pink, black or brown color. As it matures, it becomes dark brown. The mold is known for causing infection in the nose, skin, eyes, and nails. It is therefore advisable not to touch it with bare skin since it can cause dermatitis which is a skin rash.



This is commonly present in water-damaged buildings. The texture is cotton-like and it can change from the color white to grey, brown, and lastly to black as it grows. The mold grows fast in damp areas, the basement, the sink, and in leaking roofs. You can easily identify this mold by its musty odor. The mold causes nail and skin infections and sometimes can produce mycotoxins which affect people with compromised immune systems. Fixing the leaking areas and ensuring no place or surface is damp can help prevent this type of mold.



Controlling mold

It is easy and possible to eliminate all types of mold and mold spores in your household. You can easily do this by targeting the moist areas of the house because mold cannot grow where there is no moisture. Ensure that you reduce moisture in your house to prevent mold from growing. However, if it already exists, clean it up and fix any problem that might be causing dampness in the place.



These molds are dangerous and therefore when it comes to cleaning them, it is important to wear protective attire such as gloves and overalls to prevent direct contact. This is because some can cause a skin rash when touched with bare skin. If you happen to find mold in large portions, consult with a mycologist before trying to clean it.


If your tent has massive amounts of mold, then trash it. You can try to remove with chemicals or sunlight or other methods we have mentioned.


More articles:

Grape refrigeration
Almond milk
Concrete blocks
Swim at night
Sweet potatoes
Moldy tent
Inflatable kayaks
Eating grass
Used canoe
Fiberglass canoe
kevlar canoe
Red flashlight