Outdoors blog

Uncategorized

Am I Safe Sleeping In A Moldy Tent?

When you have humidity in your tent, the maximum risk is to get sick because of molds, mites, or because of excess ambient humidity or pollution.

When we notice a smell of humidity inside or outside our tent, we have a mold problem; we have live fungi in our sleeping place.

The condensation humidity, generated by a bad renewal of the interior air, excess of airtightness, by thermal bridges, or by air infiltrations, etc., ends up provoking a decrease of the interior healthiness if it makes the mold appear; using adequate systems of forced mechanical ventilation above letting the air ventilate itself, solves the problem of the fungi in the tent.

Is It Very Dangerous?

Mold in general is not dangerous for people. Some types of mold can be very harmful to health, such as black mold that produces toxins, in most cases sleeping in a tent that has mold is not a danger. But as a result, you will experience several not very pleasant symptoms because of them such as allergy and sensitivity to fire.

How Do I Know If The Mold In My Tent Is Toxic?

If you want to know what to expect when you have mold in your tent, check this list of things to consider seeing if sleeping in your tent is a good idea.

There’s a Strange Smell in Your Tent

If your tent smells like something stale, like a pair of wet socks, or like a swimsuit that didn’t dry properly, there may be mold in it. As the fungus grows, it releases microbial and volatile compounds known to give off an unpleasant odor, so it’s best to look for where it’s lodged in the tent. If you notice something stale, follow the trail with your nose.

Muscle Pain

Being exposed to black mold mycotoxins can also affect your muscles and joints.

The Systemic inflammatory response syndrome is a condition that can be caused by this kind of fungus. Symptoms associated with this condition include stiffness, joint discomfort, muscle palpitations, shooting pain, muscle cramps, and weakness.

Stains in Your Tent

Mold has many appearances. It can show up as dots on a wall, discoloration, dark rings, and spots, the dots are not always black, they can also appear green, orange, brown, and white. If your tent shows signs of water damage, you should investigate the matter.

By not solving this problem, the chances of mold growth will increase more and more, since fungus and water go hand in hand. Even if your tent only has a few small dots, it’s worth checking: Mold may be lurking on the other side of the tent, right where we often miss it.

You Have Strange Rashes On Your Skin?

Mold doesn’t just affect your sinuses, as it also affects your skin. People with allergies to the fungus may find areas of skin that are red and itchy. Some of the more severe allergic reactions include rashes and hives. But if something like this happens to you, you must not try to scratch.

In the case of a rash, the body recognizes a harmful substance and responds with an allergic reaction, producing high amounts of antibodies. An antihistamine can help you control your symptoms, but they won’t go away until the cause is gone.

You Can’t Stop Coughing

You cough all the time, but you don’t have a cold or asthma? Stachybotrys Chartarum is a dark green mold that is toxic to humans and animals and can cause chronic coughing.

If it happens, it also causes throat irritation, wheezing, and shortness of breath. This fungus releases mycotoxins that can damage the cells in your body when your lungs detect the irritating spores in your system; they force you to cough to get rid of those harmful intruders.

What To Do About Finding Mold In Your Tent?

It is not recommended that you sleep in it avoid at all costs to sleep in the tent if it presents any sign, however slight, of having mold,  this will affect your health very badly to the point of damaging your respiratory system.

The tents are a safe place, but if they have fungus, you should never enter or sleep in them, it is advisable to wash and take good care of your tent to avoid having these unwanted visitors that can not only end your camping trip but also your health.

Leave a Reply