Tents may be or may not come with stakes. If your tent does not have a stake then you can buy it separately.
The stakes are not necessary as you go to the place with good weather so you can use alternatives of stake mentioned above in the article. No need to waste money. But if you are going to a place with high winds then no alternative will be successful, you have to buy stakes.
The stakes come along with the tents that are not so strong, they are weak and easily breakable so in any case, if they come along or not you have to buy them to make your tent anchored well.
What are the stakes?
Stakes are the plastic or metallic equipment that support the tent. They have a hole or a hook at the above which helps in tying the corners of the tent directly or ropes of tent, while the lower part is digging inside the ground. The stakes give the tents its shape and anchor them in position. Stakes are needed according to the number of corners present in a tent. But the number of stakes should always be more than required as they can be required for high winds or if any stakes break down. The stakes are of various types; such as-
- Titanium stake-
- It is the lightest stake used for tenting.
- It is strong and can be bent easily without breaking.
- Most campers preferred it over other stakes.
- A disadvantage is that it has a high cost.
- Steel stake-
- They are the strongest stake used for tenting.
- Can hold tents in high winds.
- They are heavy but smaller in size.
- They cost less than a titanium stake.
- Plastic stake-
- They are the cheapest stake.
- They can break down easily.
- They can stand in high winds.
Do we need tent stakes?
The answer is can be yes as well no. The stakes needed to depend on the weather condition of the place you choose. If you choose the place where there is a chance of high wind then you will require more tent stakes but if the place has nice weather then the stakes can be replaced by the alternatives. The alternatives of stake are-
- Can be used as the best alternative for the stake.
- The rope of the tent can be tied to rock for anchoring a tent.
- Cannot survive in high wind condition.
2. Wooden logs-
- The tent is tied at the upper portion while the lower part is digging inside the ground.
- Can survive in the good weather but not in high wind conditions.
3. Tree branch-
- It is one of the best alternatives for tying a tent.
- The rope is tied to the tree branch for anchoring.
- Can survive in high wind conditions.
- Can anchor the tent strongly.
4. Ice cooler, is heavy if full.
If you are a newbie in camping and want to buy a tent with stakes you can see the description of the product whether it contains stake or not. If it does not, then you can buy a stake individually or can buy a tent containing stakes. Stakes are generally used for anchoring the tents; they can be substituted with other alternatives that do not cost any penny.
Tents are the shelters that are used for camping. Camping is an adventurous activity far away from the home in which tents are used as a shelter. In camping, the participants spend nights in the natural areas for their enjoyment.
Camping can be of many types such as Tent camping, car camping, van camping, survival camping, etc. The different type of camping is characterized based on the shelter used. Tent camping is just like a home outside. The tents save the individual from rain, sun, wind, etc. There are different types of tent; Dome, cabin, pyramid, etc. Tents are secured with the help of stakes, these stakes support the tents.