A Gooseneck Camper is a type of camping trailer that comes with a hitch that looks like the 5th wheel but is not. It is used to haul or tow any kind of trailer and is incredibly strong compared to other types. The max capacities are:
- Gooseneck Hitch – 30k lbs
- Fifth Wheel Hitch – 24k lbs
- 2 inch class III – 5k lbs
- 2 inch class V – 16k lbs
This video shows what it looks like:
Gooseneck Camper VS The Fifth Wheel
- Uses a coupler and Ball connection.
- This hitch is best for flatbed trailers and livestock trailers.
- Has better stability in the case of heavy-weight trailers.
- It is very less invasive.
- Good for commercial towing purposes.
- Comparatively Less expensive.
Fifth Wheel Camper
- Uses Kingpin and jaws connection.
- Best for RV traveling trailers and also campers.
- Has better stability in the case of tall trailers.
- It is Bulky.
- Best for recreational towing.
- Comparatively More Expensive.
Advantages and Disadvantages Of a Gooseneck Camper
- It has a very high towing capacity which is 30,000 lbs.
- Gooseneck Campers are capable of towing very heavy-weight trailers without any problem at all.
- Gooseneck Campers are very precisely made and have very good weight distribution. This allows them to easily carry and tow extremely heavy trailers.
- This camper is very well designed and is very less invasive which allows it to work perfectly without taking up a lot of space or room in the bed of the truck.
- Gooseneck Camper is lightweight and is also very easy to operate and set up.
- One of the disadvantages of a gooseneck camper is that it can be a little less stable when trying to tow tall trailers.
- For installing it you need to cut a hole that does not come ready-made.
- It may not provide you with the best ride when towing tall trailers.
Various Types Of Hitches
Trailers are extremely important and common in the present day. There are numerous types of trailers available that have applications other than just towing. Here are a few different types of hitches.
- Weight Distribution Hitch: One of the best haulers they have even weight distribution that makes it easier to tow heavy trailers. These can tow up to 12,000 lbs.
- Fifth Wheel Hitch: Best for hauling very big campers and has a towing capacity of 24,000 lbs.
- Gooseneck Hitch: These hitches are great for heavy weight haul and are very less intrusive. They can tow up to 30,000 lbs.
- Front Mount Hitch: These Hitches are directly bolted to the front of the vehicle making it easier to access. They have a towing capacity of up to 9,000 lbs and are good for smaller trailers.
- Pintle Hitch: There is a type of hook hauler and has two parts they can tow up to 60,000 lbs.
Gooseneck Camper VS Other RV Types
Compared to most of the other types of RV like the travel trailer, lightweight trailer, or toy hauler, the gooseneck camper has a lot more advanced features and advantages. Gooseneck Campers are multipurpose trailers.
The main reason for the gooseneck camper being so good is that it is extremely stable and takes up very little space, unlike all other trailers. This allows the power to have a lot more space compared to other trailers. It is also sturdy and can tow up to 30,000 lbs. Not only that it is great for all types of towing purposes and can easily tow heavy-weight trailers as well.
One day going out on a road trip and deciding where to go and what to eat after you have already started your camping trip can be exciting.
However, for that, you do need a good trailer that you can trust. A gooseneck camper in this case can be a great option. It has a lot of advantages and is proven to be one of the best trailers.