Blueberries have seeds inside the fruit. Both lowbush and highbush blueberries contain small seeds for propagation. It takes little effort to separate the seeds from the pulp.
You can plant these seeds instead of buying some from the stores. However, the results may be poor or non-existent. The offspring don’t duplicate the parent since blueberries don’t self-pollinate.
Do frozen blueberries have seeds.
Frozen blueberries have seeds, and you can germinate them into seedlings. Obtain blueberries that have been frozen for at least 90 days and get the seeds to grow them into seedlings,
Can you eat blueberries?
You can eat blueberries, and raw blueberries can be part of a keto diet. Blueberries are a popular source of vitamin K, vitamin C, and Manganese. They also contain anthocyanins, antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress and lower the risk of heart disease.
Other health benefits of blueberries are lowered LDL cholesterol in the blood, reduced risk of heart attack, and enhanced function of the arteries.
How big are blueberries
The blueberries are classified as prostate shrubs and can vary in size from 1 to 13 feet high. The highbush blueberries are 6 to 12 feet tall at maturity, half-high blueberries are 2 to 4 feet tall, and lowbush blueberries are about 1 foot high.
How to get blueberries seeds
You can get blueberries seeds from a local or online store. The other option is to extract the blueberries seeds from the fruits through the following methods:
· A proper functioning blender will make your work easier when separating the blueberries’ seeds.
· Put ¾ cup of thawed blueberries in your blender and add water up to the ¾ level of your blender.
· Turn on your blender and allow it to blend the blueberries for ten minutes. Then, let the seeds settle at the bottom, separating from the pulp. Slowly pour out the pulp and add more water.
· Repeat this process until all the pulp is removed. Take your seeds and place them on dry paper towels to air dry.
2. Mash the blueberries
· You can mash the berries with your hands if you don’t have the required equipment. Otherwise, put ¾ of a cup of defrosted blueberries in a bowl.
· Crush the berries rigorously using a potato masher or a pedestal.
· Place the crushed berries in a quart jar to separate seeds from the pulp.
· If you don’t have the quart jar, put your mashed berries in a bottle and add water. Swirl the bottle content in a gentle motion to separate the seeds from the pulp.
3. Food grinder
· First, fill the grinder with ¾ cup of thawed blueberries.
· Grind the berries until they become pulverized; that is, all parts of the pulp are broken.
· Pour the grinder content into the quart jar and place the cap to allow the seeds to settle at the bottom.
· Pour off the pulp and place the seeds in paper towels for drying.
Are blueberries hard to grow from seeds?
It takes a lot of time and effort to grow blueberries from the seed into a productive plant. Thus, you should be patient as once the plant is established, it’ll continually supply you with these super fruits.
Blueberries aren’t very hard to grow and hence their popularity in home gardens. You can easily grow them in containers, especially when you don’t have adequate soil conditions for blueberries. With the following plant care, you’re set to grow blueberries successfully:
Blueberry plant care
· Light- blueberry requires at least six hours of direct sunlight.
· Soil- they do well in acidic soil (4.0- 5.2). You can add nutrients using organic matter.
· Water-this plant requires deep watering at least once per week. These plants are shallow-rooted, and hence you should maintain the topsoil moist throughout.
· Temperature and humidity- the traditional blueberries type prefer humid and cold climate. You should protect the plant from drying winds.
· Fertilizer- only use liquid fertilizer after the first year since the plants are sensitive to salt until well established.
How long do blueberries take to grow?
The size of the blueberry bush tends to increase from year to year, and it takes ten years for the bush to reach mature size. However, within two to three years after planting, you’ll be able to get large harvests.
When to plant blueberries?
The blueberries seeds are ready to plant in January through February indoors. This allows the seeds to develop into seedlings and be ready to transfer to the outside during spring.
How to plant blueberries seeds
· The first step is to prepare the seeds through scarification and cold stratification. Place your seeds in a cold paper towel and put them in a freezer for ninety days. After this step, they’ll be ready for planting.
· Plant the seeds in dampened peat moss in seed trays and cover them slightly with soil. Ensure medium is moist throughout by watering regularly. Your seeds will germinate in 6 to 8 weeks.
· Ensure enough lighting to facilitate the proper development of the seedlings. If there is insufficient sunlight, suspend fluorescent light.
· The seedlings are ready for transplant after one year, and they can’t exceed 6 inches in height when indoors.
· Transplant the bushes into pots and place them in a sunny, warm, and moist area.
· Boost the growth of your plants using liquid fertilizer after two to three weeks after transplantation.
· The blueberry plant starts to bear fruits after two years and when the plant is one to two feet tall.