You can do something about plastic trash by picking it up.
You can go solo or organize a cleanup with friends.
Plastic bottles take 450 years to degrade.
Trash from the ocean washes up on the beach like this
Picture of golf course in Pebble Beach, CA. How many golf balls get hit into the ocean?
Golf balls in the water and ocean are a problem for marine animals.
Polluting golf courses
Wear gloves to protect yourself from cuts and germs.
Gather plastic and other trash into a bag and then dispose of properly.
Campgrounds at national parks have plastic trash containers like these:
Camper below is picking up and packing out trash.
- Plastic is made from fossil fuels.
- Billions of pounds end up in ocean every year.
- 25 million pieces of plastic trash in worlds oceans.
- A great plastic patch is in north central pacific ocean.
- 60% of all seabirds have ingested some plastic.
- The US leads the world in plastic waste generation of 42 million tons.
- 2% of all plastic produced ends up in the ocean.
Plastic plates and forks like these are convenient for camping. Make sure not to leave a mess.
Sign reminding you to take your rubbish with you.
This campsite is messy. Note all the plastic bottles lying around.
It only takes a minute to pickup trash you find while hiking on an outdoor trail.
Take responsibility for your own pollution
You can have fun on a family outing cleanup up plastic beach trash.
Plastic bags in lakes and ocean are very bad for animals due to entanglement and ingestion.
This EPA page has more info about the total number of tons of plastics generated.
Plastic bottles belong in landfill not under water.
Only 9% of plastics are recycled each year.