Generators are a handy tool to have in case of power outages or for outdoor activities. They provide a reliable source of power when electricity is not available. However, generators can be quite expensive, with some models costing thousands of dollars. For those on a budget, a generator under $400 can be a great option.
Best Generators Under $400
We understand the importance of having a reliable generator, especially during power outages or outdoor activities. However, finding a quality generator that won’t break the bank can be a challenge. That’s why we’ve done the research and compiled a list of the best generators under $400. Our team has thoroughly tested and evaluated each product to ensure that they meet our standards for performance, durability, and affordability. Whether you need a generator for camping trips, emergency situations, or home use, our list has got you covered.
If you’re in the market for a portable generator under $400, the Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator is a solid choice.
- With 4,650 peak watts and 3,600 running watts, this generator can power multiple appliances and devices.
- The 4-gallon fuel tank provides up to 14 hours of run time, so you won’t have to constantly refill it.
- The RV-ready TT-30R 30A outlet and L5-30R outlet make it easy to hook up your travel trailer or other devices.
- At 103.6 pounds, this generator is on the heavier side and may be difficult for some to move around.
- The recoil start may require some effort to get the generator going.
- Some users have reported that the noise level is on the louder side.
We recently had the opportunity to test out the Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator and were impressed with its performance. The generator is powered by a 212cc 4-Stroke OHV Westinghouse Engine with a cast iron sleeve designed for durability. The built-in fuel gauge and automatic low oil shutdown are convenient features that give you peace of mind while using the generator.
The control panel is easy to use, with guided yellow touchpoints that make it simple to operate. We appreciated the rubber outlet covers that provide added protection from the environment and rugged conditions.
Assembly was minimal, and the generator comes with oil, an oil funnel, a tool kit, and a user’s manual to get you started right out of the box. The generator is EPA and CARB compliant, and comes with a 3-year limited warranty and lifetime technical support, backed by Westinghouse’s nationwide customer service and support network.
Overall, the Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator is a reliable and powerful option for those in need of a portable generator under $400.
We highly recommend the HOWEASY 120W Portable Power Station for anyone in need of a reliable, compact, and versatile power source for outdoor adventures, camping, and emergencies.
- With 8 output ports, this portable power station can charge multiple devices simultaneously, including laptops, phones, cameras, and mini fans.
- Weighing only 2.3 lbs and featuring a hidden handle, this power station is easy to carry and transport.
- With three recharging modes, including AC outlet, solar panel, and car charger, this power station can be charged anywhere, anytime.
- The battery life may not be as long as some users would prefer.
- The charging time can be longer than expected, especially when using solar panels.
- The carrying strap may not be as durable as some users would like.
We were impressed with the HOWEASY 120W Portable Power Station’s compact size and powerful capabilities. The 88WH lithium battery provides reliable power for a variety of devices, and the 8 output ports ensure that multiple devices can be charged at once.
We found the three recharging modes to be very convenient, especially when camping or in emergency situations. The solar panel option is a great feature, but it may take longer to charge the battery than expected.
The built-in LED flashlight is a nice touch, and the three brightness levels and SOS mode make it a useful tool for camping or power outages.
Overall, we think the HOWEASY 120W Portable Power Station is a great investment for anyone in need of a reliable and versatile power source.
We highly recommend the Pulsar G2319N 2,300W Portable Gas-Powered Inverter Generator for anyone looking for a reliable and affordable generator under $400. This generator is perfect for outdoor use, including tailgating, camping, and small 120V appliances.
- The compact suitcase design makes it easy to handle and transport, weighing less than 47 lbs.
- The dual 120V outlets, 12V ‘cigarette’ outlet, and direct connect USB port provide pure, safe electrical power for powering and charging laptops, cell phones, and other sensitive electronic devices.
- The stable sine wave technology provides pure, safe electrical power for powering and charging laptops, cell phones, and other sensitive electronic devices.
- The runtime of 4.8 hours at half load on 1.18 gallons of fuel may not be sufficient for prolonged use.
- The control panel may be difficult to read in low light conditions.
- The noise level may not be suitable for use in quiet environments.
We were impressed with the performance of the Pulsar G2319N. It started up easily and ran smoothly throughout our testing. The compact design made it easy to transport and store, and the dual outlets and USB port were a convenient feature. The stable sine wave technology provided clean and safe power for our electronic devices.
The runtime of 4.8 hours at half load on 1.18 gallons of fuel was sufficient for our needs, but may not be enough for prolonged use. The control panel was easy to use, but the labels may be difficult to read in low light conditions. The noise level was acceptable, but may not be suitable for use in quiet environments.
Overall, we highly recommend the Pulsar G2319N 2,300W Portable Gas-Powered Inverter Generator for anyone looking for a reliable and affordable generator under $400. Its compact design, dual outlets, and stable sine wave technology make it an excellent choice for outdoor power and entertainment use.
If you’re looking for a reliable and efficient power station for your outdoor adventures or emergency situations, the GRECELL Portable Power Station is a great option.
- With a 288Wh capacity and 330W output, the GRECELL Portable Power Station can power most of your devices, including laptops, tablets, phones, lights, fans, CPAP medical devices, projectors, TV, mini-refrigerator, speaker, and camera (rated power less than 330W). It’s compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry during camping, car trips, and other family outings.
- The upgraded battery management system ensures the safety of your devices and the power station. It provides built-in overload, overcharge (automatically stops charging when the device is full), and short-circuit protection. Dual built-in silent cooling fans help to keep the station’s temperature safe.
- The GRECELL Portable Power Station has a USB-C PD 60W output and three USB-A QC3.0 18W outputs, making it possible to charge Android and iPhone, tablets, and laptops quickly, more than twice as fast as other standard USB-C output, and ultra-high efficiency in emergencies. All USB-A ports are quick-charge 3.0 18W, providing higher efficiency for each device.
- The GRECELL Portable Power Station can only power up to eight devices at the same time, as long as they draw less than 330W combined.
- The power station is solar-powered, which means you need to have a solar panel to recharge it. It can also be charged via an AC outlet or a car outlet, but you need to buy the adapters separately.
- The GRECELL Portable Power Station is not suitable for powering high-power devices such as air conditioners, hair dryers, and electric kettles.
We recently used the GRECELL Portable Power Station during our camping trip, and it worked perfectly. We were able to charge our phones, tablets, and camera simultaneously, and the power station lasted for the entire trip. The USB-C PD 60W output was especially useful, as it charged our laptops quickly. The station’s compact size and light weight made it easy to carry in our backpacks.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a reliable and efficient power station for your outdoor adventures or emergency situations, the GRECELL Portable Power Station is a great option. Its upgraded battery management system ensures the safety of your devices and the power station, and its USB-C PD 60W output and three USB-A QC3.0 18W outputs make it possible to charge your devices quickly. However, it can only power up to eight devices at the same time, and it’s not suitable for powering high-power devices.
If you’re in the market for a generator under $400, the GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator is a solid choice.
- The GENMAX 2000 Starting Watts Inverter Generator is powered by a 79.7cc 4-stroke OHV gas engine, with inverter technology that produces 2000 Starting Watts/1600 Running Watts clean power (less than 3% THD), confidently connect your sensitive electronics such as TV, lights, fans, small power tools and more on camping trips, etc.
- At only 34 pounds, the GM2000i is one of the lightest 2000w inverters in this industry. The sturdy handle makes it easy to carry for long distances.
- As low as 60 dBA noise output, run for 8 hours at 50% load on a 1-gallon tank, features “Economy Mode” for maximum fuel efficiency.
- The GM2000i only has 120V/20A outlets and one 5V/1A outlet, one 5V/2.1A outlet. It’s parallel-ready, but if you need more outlets, you’ll need to invest in a parallel kit.
- The GM2000i is not CARB-compliant, so it can’t be sold or used in California.
- The GM2000i is not powerful enough to run larger appliances or tools.
We recently had the opportunity to test out the GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator, and we were impressed with its performance. The GM2000i is incredibly lightweight and easy to carry, making it perfect for camping trips or other outdoor adventures. We were able to power our small appliances and electronics with ease, and the generator was impressively quiet.
One thing to keep in mind is that the GM2000i is not powerful enough to run larger appliances or tools. If you need to power a fridge or other large appliance, you’ll need to look for a more powerful generator. Additionally, the GM2000i only has a limited number of outlets, so if you need more than two, you’ll need to invest in a parallel kit.
Overall, we think the GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator is a great choice for anyone looking for a reliable, lightweight generator under $400. It’s easy to use, fuel-efficient, and impressively quiet. If you’re in the market for a generator, we highly recommend the GM2000i.
When shopping for a generator under $400, there are a few key features to consider to ensure you choose the best product for your needs.
The power output of a generator is measured in watts and determines how much electricity it can produce. It’s important to choose a generator with enough power output to meet your needs. Consider the appliances and devices you plan to run and their power requirements, and choose a generator with a power output that exceeds those requirements.
Generators can run on a variety of fuels, including gasoline, propane, and diesel. Consider which fuel type is most convenient and cost-effective for you, as well as the availability of that fuel in your area.
The runtime of a generator refers to how long it can run on a single tank of fuel. Look for a generator with a runtime that meets your needs, whether that’s a few hours or several days.
If you plan to use your generator in multiple locations or during outdoor activities, portability is an important factor to consider. Look for a generator that is lightweight and easy to move, with convenient carrying handles or wheels.
Generators can be noisy, so if you plan to use your generator in a residential area or around other people, consider the noise level of the generator. Look for a generator with a low decibel rating, or consider a generator with an enclosed design to reduce noise.
By considering these key features, you can choose a generator under $400 that meets your needs and provides reliable power when you need it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size generator do we need for our home?
The size of the generator you need for your home depends on the power requirement of your appliances. A good rule of thumb is to get a generator with a power output that is at least 20% higher than the total wattage of your appliances. For example, if your appliances require a total of 4,000 watts, you should get a generator with a power output of at least 5,000 watts.
What appliances can a 5,000 watt generator run?
A 5,000 watt generator can run most household appliances, including refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and even some power tools. However, it may not be able to run all of these appliances at the same time. It’s important to check the power requirements of each appliance and make sure that the total wattage does not exceed the generator’s power output.
What is the cheapest portable generator available?
The cheapest portable generator available is not always the most reliable or efficient. However, there are some good options available for under $400, such as the WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator and the Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology.
Are there any reliable gas generators under $400?
Yes, there are some reliable gas generators available for under $400. The WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator and the Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology are both good options. It’s important to read reviews and do your research before making a purchase.
What is the best small portable generator for camping?
The best small portable generator for camping depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, some good options include the Honda EU2200i Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator, the Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator, and the WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator.
How long can a gas generator run continuously?
The length of time a gas generator can run continuously depends on the size of the fuel tank and the power output of the generator. Most gas generators can run for 8-12 hours on a full tank of gas, but this can vary depending on the specific model. It’s important to read the manufacturer’s specifications and follow proper maintenance procedures to ensure that your generator runs smoothly for as long as possible.