When it comes to backpacking, having the right gear can make or break your trip. One essential piece of equipment that every backpacker needs is a bivy. A bivy, short for bivouac sack, is a lightweight and compact shelter that is perfect for solo backpackers or those who prefer to travel light.
Best Bivy for Backpackers
When it comes to backpacking, having a reliable and comfortable shelter is crucial. A bivy, short for bivouac, is a lightweight and compact shelter that is perfect for solo backpackers who want to keep their gear weight to a minimum. In this article, we have compiled a list of the best bivy options for backpackers, based on factors such as weight, durability, ventilation, and overall comfort. So whether you’re planning a weekend trip or a longer thru-hike, we’ve got you covered with our top picks for the best bivy for backpackers.
We highly recommend the Dragoon Unlimited Ridgeback One Person Tent for backpackers looking for a durable and reliable shelter for their outdoor adventures.
- Crafted from high-quality materials, including Y-style stakes, this tent weighs just 5.5 pounds, making it lightweight and easy to carry on your outdoor adventures.
- The tent is designed with 42” headroom in the inner tent to ensure that it’s designed for real adults on real adventures.
- The waterproof tents are made with top-notch materials that will keep you dry and comfortable during rain or wet weather.
- The tent may be a bit tricky to set up the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a breeze.
- The tent may not be suitable for extremely cold weather conditions.
- The tent is designed for one person, so it may not be ideal for those who prefer more space.
We recently took the Dragoon Unlimited Ridgeback One Person Tent on a backpacking trip and were impressed with its performance. The tent is easy to set up and take down, and its compact size and lightweight construction make it easy to carry and store. The tent’s waterproof materials kept us dry during a rainy night, and the Y-style stakes ensured that the tent stayed securely in place.
The tent’s 42” headroom in the inner tent is a huge plus, making it comfortable for taller individuals to move around without feeling cramped. The tent’s sturdy construction ensures durability and reliability in any weather condition, and its military-inspired design gives it a rugged and reliable feel.
Overall, we highly recommend the Dragoon Unlimited Ridgeback One Person Tent for backpackers looking for a high-quality, reliable, and easy-to-use shelter for their outdoor adventures.
GEERTOP Ultralight Single Person Bivy Tent for Camp Waterproof 1 Man Tent for Camping Hiking Backpacking Hunting Outdoor Survival Gear – Easy Set Up Camouflage
If you’re looking for a lightweight and easy-to-set-up bivy tent for your backpacking trip, GEERTOP Ultralight Single Person Bivy Tent is an excellent option.
- Weighs only 2.5 lbs, making it easy to carry around
- Waterproof grade of PU5000 MM with fully seam-taped and double stitching, making it suitable for heavy rainstorms
- Three-pole frame system with shock-corded aluminum poles allows for easy setup and takedown in just 2 minutes
- The tent may not provide enough space for taller individuals
- The ventilation may not be sufficient for extremely hot weather conditions
- The zippers may not be very durable
We recently used the GEERTOP Ultralight Single Person Bivy Tent on a backpacking trip, and we were impressed with its lightweight design and easy setup. The tent is compact and can be easily packed into a backpack, making it perfect for solo backpacking trips.
The tent is also waterproof, with a PU5000 MM waterproof grade and fully seam-taped and double stitching, which kept us dry during heavy rainstorms. The three-pole frame system with shock-corded aluminum poles made setup and takedown a breeze, taking us only 2 minutes to complete.
However, the tent may not provide enough space for taller individuals, and the ventilation may not be sufficient for extremely hot weather conditions. Additionally, the zippers may not be very durable, so be careful when opening and closing the tent.
Overall, the GEERTOP Ultralight Single Person Bivy Tent is a great option for backpackers looking for a lightweight and easy-to-set-up tent that can withstand heavy rainstorms.
We recommend purchasing the LytHarvest Ultralight Bivvy Bag Tent for its lightweight and compact design, quick setup, and waterproof features.
- Extremely lightweight and easy to carry
- Quick and easy setup with one-pole frame system
- Fully waterproof and well-ventilated for moderate rain
- May not provide enough space for taller individuals
- Condensation buildup may occur inside the tent
- Not suitable for extreme weather conditions
The LytHarvest Ultralight Bivvy Bag Tent is perfect for backpackers and hikers who need a lightweight and compact shelter for their outdoor adventures. We were impressed with its one-pole frame system that allows for fast and easy setup, taking only 2 minutes to install. The mesh door and windows on top provide excellent ventilation and air flow, making it comfortable to sleep in during warmer weather.
One of the highlights of this bivy tent is its waterproof feature. It is fully seam-taped and coated with PU5000MM, making it able to withstand moderate rain and keeping you dry throughout the night. However, we noticed some condensation buildup inside the tent, which may be uncomfortable for some users.
The tent’s dimensions are 225 x (50/90/50) x 50 cm (L x W x H), making it suitable for 1 person. However, taller individuals may find it cramped inside. It is also not recommended for extreme weather conditions.
Overall, we highly recommend the LytHarvest Ultralight Bivvy Bag Tent for its lightweight and compact design, quick setup, and waterproof features. It is perfect for 3 seasons of camping and hiking and suitable for various outdoor activities such as self-driving tours and fishing.
If you’re looking for a lightweight and compact emergency sleeping bag, The Atomic Bear Bivy Sack is a great option.
- The thermal emergency sleeping bag keeps you warm by trapping body heat inside, and it’s waterproof to protect you from rain.
- The bivy sack rolls up small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, making it easy to carry in your backpack or bugout bag.
- The space blanket style sleeping bag is windproof, waterproof, and bug-proof, making it an impenetrable barrier to nature’s fury.
- The bivy sack is quite thin, so it may not be the best choice for extremely cold temperatures.
- The drawstring closure can be a bit tricky to use, especially if you’re wearing gloves.
- The bivy sack can tear easily if not handled carefully.
We recently took The Atomic Bear Bivy Sack on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance. The thermal emergency sleeping bag kept us warm on a chilly night, and the waterproof material kept us dry when it started to rain.
The bivy sack is incredibly lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry in a backpack or bugout bag. We also appreciated the included carrying bag with a paracord cinch rope and emergency whistle, as well as the 102-page survival guide.
One thing to keep in mind is that the bivy sack is quite thin, so it may not be the best choice for extremely cold temperatures. Additionally, the drawstring closure can be a bit tricky to use, especially if you’re wearing gloves. Finally, it’s important to handle the bivy sack carefully, as it can tear easily.
Overall, we would recommend The Atomic Bear Bivy Sack for backpackers and campers looking for a lightweight and compact emergency sleeping bag.
We highly recommend the AquaQuest West Coast Bivy for backpackers who want maximum space, airflow, and comfort while maintaining an element of weather protection.
- The largest, most breathable, and most comfortable single pole tent in the world.
- Ultralight and compact, easy to set up with one lightweight collapsible shock cord aluminum pole and 6 ultralight pegs.
- Batwing stiffeners keep the foot section elevated. Waterproof floor is made from double coated nylon with heat taped seams. 2 internal mesh pockets and external loops for rolling up the mesh door or hanging small items.
- Not 100% waterproof, but AquaQuest offers a 3-pc combo with their large Guide Sil Tarp and 4-pc Boa strap set for complete 3 season camping shelter.
- Some older products may have sticky substance and damage waterproof tape from being badly stored.
We were impressed with the AquaQuest West Coast Bivy’s design. Instead of focusing on making it waterproof, AquaQuest made it the largest, most breathable, and most comfortable single pole tent in the world. It is longer, wider, and higher than any traditional bivy, and is ultra breathable with 3 walls of ‘No-See-Um’ insect proof mesh. The West Coast Bivy is easy to set up, ultralight, and compact. It comes with one lightweight collapsible shock cord aluminum pole and 6 ultralight pegs, and weighs only 2.3 lbs (1 kg) for the entire kit. The batwing stiffeners keep the foot section elevated, and the waterproof floor is made from double coated nylon with heat taped seams. There are also 2 internal mesh pockets and external loops for rolling up the mesh door or hanging small items.
Although the AquaQuest West Coast Bivy is not 100% waterproof, it is still a great option for backpackers who want to reduce the weight of their current shelter but want to maintain an element of weather protection. AquaQuest offers this bivy as part of a 3-pc combo, with their large Guide Sil Tarp and 4-pc Boa strap set for complete 3 season camping shelter. Some older products may have sticky substance and damage waterproof tape from being badly stored, but this is not a common issue.
Overall, the AquaQuest West Coast Bivy is a great choice for backpackers who want a comfortable and breathable shelter that is easy to set up and ultralight.
If you’re looking for a lightweight and compact emergency bivvy that can save your life in harsh outdoor conditions, the S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Emergency Bivvy is a great option.
- Reflects 90% of body heat to prevent heat loss and provide life-saving warmth
- Waterproof and windproof material protects you from high winds and the harshest outdoor elements
- Includes tinder paracord for fire starting and emergency whistle for signaling
- Some users may find the material to be a bit noisy
- The bivvy is designed for emergencies only and may not be comfortable for long-term use
- The size may be too small for taller individuals
We recently tested the S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Emergency Bivvy on a camping trip and were impressed with its performance. The bivvy is incredibly lightweight and compact, making it easy to pack in any backpack or survival kit. The reflective material did an excellent job of trapping body heat and keeping us warm throughout the night, even in cold and windy conditions.
The waterproof and windproof material also provided excellent protection from the elements, keeping us dry and comfortable. We appreciated the included tinder paracord and emergency whistle, which could be lifesaving in an emergency situation.
One downside we noticed was that the material can be a bit noisy, which may be a concern for some users. Additionally, while the bivvy is great for emergency use, it may not be comfortable for long-term use. Taller individuals may also find the size to be a bit small.
Overall, we highly recommend the S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Emergency Bivvy as a potentially life-saving addition to any outdoor gear collection.
When it comes to choosing the best bivy for backpackers, there are several factors to consider. Here are some key features to look for when selecting a bivy:
The material of the bivy is crucial to consider. It should be durable, lightweight, and waterproof. The most popular materials used for bivies are Gore-Tex, eVent, and Pertex Shield. These materials are breathable and waterproof, which is essential for backpackers who will be spending time in different weather conditions.
Size and Weight
The size and weight of the bivy are also important factors to consider. Backpackers need a bivy that is lightweight and easy to carry. The size of the bivy should be large enough to accommodate the user, but not too large that it becomes cumbersome to carry. A compact and lightweight bivy is ideal for backpackers who want to minimize the weight of their gear.
Ventilation is another important feature to consider when selecting a bivy. Backpackers need a bivy that is breathable and allows air to flow through. A bivy with good ventilation will prevent condensation from building up inside the bivy, which can lead to a damp sleeping bag and discomfort during the night.
Ease of Setup
The ease of setup is also a crucial factor to consider when selecting a bivy. Backpackers need a bivy that is easy to set up and take down. A bivy with a simple and straightforward setup process will save time and energy, which is essential for backpackers who want to maximize their time on the trail.
Finally, the price of the bivy is an important consideration. Backpackers should look for a bivy that is within their budget, but also meets their needs in terms of material, size, weight, ventilation, and ease of setup. It is important to find a balance between quality and affordability when selecting a bivy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the key factors to consider when choosing a bivy for backpacking?
When choosing a bivy for backpacking, there are several key factors to consider. These include the weight and size of the bivy, the materials used to construct it, its breathability and waterproofing, and any additional features such as bug netting or pole systems.
Can you recommend a high-quality bivy that is lightweight and durable?
Yes, we recommend the Outdoor Research Helium Bivy as a high-quality bivy that is both lightweight and durable. It is made with waterproof and breathable Pertex Shield+ fabric, and weighs in at just 18 ounces.
What are the benefits of using a bivy instead of a tent for backpacking?
Using a bivy instead of a tent for backpacking has several benefits. Bivies are typically lighter and more compact than tents, making them easier to carry and store. They also offer a more immersive outdoor experience, allowing you to feel more connected to your surroundings. Additionally, bivies are often more affordable than tents.
What are some important features to look for in an emergency bivy sack?
When looking for an emergency bivy sack, it is important to consider its weight and size, as well as its durability and waterproofing. Look for a bivy that is made with high-quality materials and has features such as reflective material for increased visibility.
What are the differences between down and synthetic sleeping bags for bivy camping?
Down sleeping bags are typically lighter and more compressible than synthetic sleeping bags, making them ideal for backpacking. However, they can be more expensive and lose their insulating properties when wet. Synthetic sleeping bags, on the other hand, are more affordable and retain their insulating properties when wet, but are typically heavier and bulkier than down sleeping bags.
Which brands are known for making the best bivvies for backpackers?
Some of the top brands for bivvies for backpackers include Outdoor Research, Black Diamond, and Rab. These brands are known for producing high-quality bivvies that are lightweight, durable, and packed with features to make your backpacking experience more comfortable and enjoyable.