Nestled in the heart of California’s Gold Country, Lake McClure offers a serene and picturesque setting for camping enthusiasts. With its crystal-clear waters, lush forests, and stunning mountain views, this destination is a must-visit for anyone seeking a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Lake McClure is a serene camping destination located in California’s Gold Country.
- The lake offers a variety of camping sites to suit different preferences.
- Visitors can enjoy stunning views, crystal-clear waters, and lush forests while camping at Lake McClure.
Location of Lake Mcclure
Lake McClure is located in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Mariposa County and Merced County, California. It is situated in the heart of California’s gold country, approximately 40 miles east of Modesto. The lake is formed by the New Exchequer Dam on the Merced River, which is a tributary of the San Joaquin River.
The lake is nestled in a valley surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful oak trees. It is a popular destination for camping, boating, fishing, and other outdoor activities. The lake covers an area of approximately 4,900 acres and has a shoreline of approximately 80 miles.
Lake McClure is easily accessible from Highway 49 and Highway 132. Visitors can enter the lake from several locations, including the Barrett Cove Recreation Area, Horseshoe Bend Recreation Area, and McClure Point Recreation Area. Each of these areas offers a variety of amenities, including boat launches, picnic areas, and campsites.
Overall, Lake McClure is a beautiful and peaceful destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy the natural beauty of California’s foothills.
Camping Sites at Lake McClure
Lake McClure offers a variety of camping sites to choose from. Whether you prefer primitive camping or RV camping, Lake McClure has something for everyone. The following are some of the camping sites available at Lake McClure:
- Horseshoe Bend Campground: This campground is located on the north shore of Lake McClure and offers 98 campsites. The campsites are suitable for tents, trailers, and RVs. The campground also has amenities such as showers, restrooms, and a dump station.
- Barrett Cove Campground: This campground is located on the south shore of Lake McClure and offers 67 campsites. The campsites are suitable for tents, trailers, and RVs. The campground also has amenities such as showers, restrooms, and a dump station.
- Bagby Campground: This campground is located on the east side of Lake McClure and offers 23 campsites. The campsites are suitable for tents, trailers, and RVs. The campground also has amenities such as showers, restrooms, and a dump station.
- McClure Point Recreation Area: This campground is located on the west side of Lake McClure and offers 26 campsites. The campsites are suitable for tents, trailers, and RVs. The campground also has amenities such as showers, restrooms, and a dump station.
Each of these campgrounds offers a unique camping experience with beautiful views of the lake and surrounding areas.
Amenities and Facilities
Lake McClure camping offers a wide range of amenities and facilities for visitors to enjoy during their stay. The following are some of the amenities and facilities available:
- Campsites: Lake McClure camping offers over 200 campsites, including tent and RV sites. All campsites come equipped with picnic tables and fire rings.
- Restrooms and Showers: Restrooms and showers are available throughout the campgrounds for visitors’ convenience.
- Boat Launch: Lake McClure camping features a boat launch for visitors who want to enjoy the lake’s waters. Boats can also be rented from the marina.
- Fishing: Lake McClure is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. The lake is home to a variety of fish, including bass, trout, and catfish.
- Hiking Trails: Visitors can explore the area’s natural beauty by hiking on one of the many trails in the surrounding hills.
- Playgrounds: Children can enjoy the playgrounds located throughout the campgrounds.
- Picnic Areas: Picnic areas are available for visitors to enjoy a meal or snack in the great outdoors.
- Horseback Riding: Horseback riding is available for visitors who want to explore the area’s hills on horseback.
- General Store: The general store offers a variety of supplies and snacks for visitors to purchase during their stay.
Overall, Lake McClure camping provides visitors with a variety of amenities and facilities to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Activities at Lake McClure
Lake McClure is a popular fishing destination that offers visitors the opportunity to catch a variety of fish species. The lake is home to a large population of bass, including largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass. Other fish species that can be found in the lake include catfish, crappie, bluegill, and trout. Visitors can fish from the shore or from a boat, and there are several fishing tournaments held throughout the year.
Boating is another popular activity at Lake McClure. The lake has several boat launch ramps and marinas that offer boat rentals. Visitors can enjoy water skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, and other water sports. The lake is also a great place for sailing and windsurfing, with plenty of open water and steady winds.
Lake McClure is surrounded by beautiful natural scenery, making it a great place for hiking. There are several hiking trails in the area, ranging from easy to challenging. Visitors can explore the lake’s shoreline, as well as nearby forests and mountains. The lake is home to a variety of wildlife, including deer, coyotes, and bald eagles, making it a great place for nature lovers.
Reservation and Fees
Lake McClure offers a variety of camping options, from tent camping to RV camping. Reservations can be made online or by calling the park office. It is recommended to make reservations well in advance, especially during peak season.
There are different fees for camping depending on the type of site and the length of stay. The fees range from $20 to $40 per night for tent camping and $30 to $60 per night for RV camping. Additionally, there is a $10 fee for each extra vehicle and a $5 fee for each pet.
Visitors should be aware that there is a cancellation fee of $10 for camping reservations cancelled more than 48 hours before the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations made less than 48 hours before the scheduled arrival date will result in a forfeiture of the first night’s fee.
Overall, Lake McClure offers affordable camping options with reasonable reservation and cancellation policies.
Rules and Regulations
Camping at Lake McClure is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, but it’s important to follow the rules and regulations to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Here are some key rules and regulations to keep in mind:
- All campers must register at the entrance station and display their camping permit at all times.
- Campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and campers are limited to 14 consecutive days in any 30-day period.
- Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Please be respectful of your fellow campers and keep noise to a minimum during these hours.
- Fires are allowed only in designated fire rings or grills. Do not leave fires unattended, and make sure they are completely extinguished before leaving your campsite.
- Pets are allowed, but they must be kept on a leash at all times and are not allowed on the beach or in the water.
- Swimming is allowed only in designated areas, and children must be supervised at all times.
- Please dispose of all trash in the provided dumpsters and recycle bins. Do not leave trash or food out, as it can attract wildlife.
By following these rules and regulations, campers can enjoy a safe and enjoyable experience at Lake McClure.
Lake McClure is surrounded by beautiful scenery, making it an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy a variety of activities, including hiking, fishing, boating, and swimming. In addition to these activities, there are several nearby attractions that visitors may want to explore.
One popular attraction is the Merced River. The river runs through the Sierra Nevada Mountains and offers visitors the opportunity to go rafting, kayaking, and fishing. The river is also home to several swimming holes, making it a great place to cool off on a hot day.
Another nearby attraction is Yosemite National Park. The park is located about an hour and a half from Lake McClure and offers visitors stunning views of waterfalls, mountains, and wildlife. Visitors can hike, bike, or drive through the park to explore its natural beauty.
For those interested in history, the Mariposa Museum and History Center is located about 30 minutes from Lake McClure. The museum features exhibits on the history of the area, including the California Gold Rush and the local Native American tribes.
Overall, Lake McClure is a great destination for those looking to explore the outdoors and nearby attractions.
Lake McClure camping is open year-round, but there are some seasonal considerations to keep in mind before planning your trip.
During the summer months, the weather can get quite hot, with temperatures reaching up to 100°F. It is important to bring plenty of water and sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun. Additionally, it is important to be aware of fire restrictions during the summer months, as wildfires can be a serious threat to the area.
During the winter months, temperatures can drop significantly, with nighttime temperatures often dipping below freezing. It is important to bring appropriate cold-weather gear, such as warm clothing and sleeping bags, to stay comfortable during your stay. Additionally, some campsites may be closed during the winter months, so it is important to check availability before making your reservations.
Overall, Lake McClure camping can be a great experience year-round, as long as you are prepared for the seasonal considerations that come with each season.
In conclusion, Lake McClure camping offers a wide range of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. From fishing and boating to hiking and swimming, there is something for everyone. The campgrounds are well-maintained and offer various amenities, including picnic areas, fire pits, and showers.
Visitors can choose from several camping options, including tent camping, RV camping, and cabin rentals. Each option offers a unique experience and allows visitors to tailor their trip to their preferences.
While the lake can get crowded during peak season, there are still plenty of opportunities to find a quiet spot to relax and enjoy the scenery. Overall, Lake McClure camping is a great choice for those looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and enjoy the great outdoors.